Monday, October 29, 2007

3.3 Sydney

Sydney looked back at him and opened her mouth to reply when suddenly Neil came running back over to the table.

“Karaoke, people! Dude, it’s time we show these ladies what we’ve got!”

Sydney laughed and Tim grinned sheepishly as his friends pulled him up to the front of the patio where the bartender had just plugged in the karaoke equipment.

For the rest of the evening everyone had their turn at the mike, inhibitions increasingly erased with each pitcher of beer and shot of tequila. Tim and his buddies - joined by Luc - sang ridiculous parodies of boy bands, followed by surprisingly good renditions of some classics. Later, Sydney, Olivia and Summer did a fair impersonation of the Pointer Sisters and The Bangles, receiving a standing ovation from the packed bar.

Eventually, however, the evening had to end. Summer and Luc headed out and Sydney realized just how tired she was.

"Liv? Do you need a ride home? Want to share a cab?" she asked Olivia who was sitting somewhat blurry-eyed at the end of the bar.

Antonio and Josh both jumped up and offered to see Olivia home, and Sydney was amused by thinking how her friend would manage to deal with them both in the cab. "Ah well," she thought to her self, "works for me. Now I can walk home and get some fresh air. Hopefully with Tim!"

Cabs were called, and Sydney watched as Antonio helped Olivia into the back and climbed in beside her and Josh. “Don’t worry,” he called out the window, “I’ll make sure she gets home ok!”

The taxi sped off and Tim looked at her, knowing she was worried about leaving her friend. "They're good guys Sydney, I promise.”

“Yeah, I know, and she’s a big girl. I guess I’m just a worry wart.” Sydney looked up into Tim’s eyes and looked quickly away again, suddenly shy after such a fun and easy evening. It had been a while since she had felt such a quick connection with a man, and she had to remember how to play the game.

She could hear the voices of all her friends in her head now. Lyndi saying “don’t date a partier.” Summer advising, “girl, make them chase you.” And then Olivia, with her “hey Syd, life’s short. Have fun!”

It was this last voice that matched what her gut was telling her, and she looked back up at Tim and said “so, shall we walk?”

“Absolutely,” he grinned. “I was hoping you’d say that. I can’t believe it’s still so warm out, and it’s what, midnight?”

“Try 1:30,” Sydney said, holding out her wrist to prove what time it was.

“No way, are you serious?” Tim grabbed her arm and looked closer. “I would never have guessed – wow that was a fun night.”

“It was. Josh is hilarious, and that other guy – Antonio? He can really sing! So can you, actually.”

Tim laughed and covered his face with his hands. “I can’t believe I did that. With a guitar around a campfire is one thing, but karaoke with your drunken buddies? I’m surprised the bartender didn’t kick us out!”

“Nah, you were too good for that.” Sydney said. “What was that last song you did? I really liked it.”

“It was a Coldplay song called “Kingdom Come”. I’m a big fan of theirs.” Tim broke into a few bars of the song, singing the first verse :

Steal my heart, and hold my tongue,
I feel my time, my time has come.
Let me in, unlock the door,
I never felt this way before.

Sydney was silent as he finished. He had a rich voice that soothed her nerves and made her want to hear more; feel more.

And yet she didn’t know what to say. She stopped walking and leaned against the lamp post, arms folded, looking at Tim.

Tim turned and shrugged. “Too cheesy. I know, but I can sing some Guns n Roses or Metallica if that will help restore my image.”

“You’re a mystery, Tim,” said Sydney, looking in to his eyes. “You seem to be this big Bay Street guy, hanging with his buddies, showing off for the girls at the beach, and lamenting the loss of his Porsche, but then you also seem to have this other side too, and you’re not afraid to show it.” She stopped and smiled. “So which one are you?”

“Both I guess. Depends on my mood. The company. The moon and the tides too maybe,” he gestured up at the clear moon, lighting their way down the boardwalk. “Maybe you bring out the cheesy side of me.”

“Hmmmm, I’ll keep that in mind.” Sydney started walking again, and Tim reached out and took her hand. She liked the feel of his palm; strong, warm, and comfortable. They walked silently for a while, and Sydney could not have been happier. She wished the boardwalk was ten miles long, and yet she knew that her street was just ahead.

She started to veer left and Tim stopped in his tracks, pulling her suddenly back in to him. She landed with one palm flattened against his chest, the other firmly clasped in his hand. His free hand reached up and he cupped the side of her face and just looked at her for a minute.

“I meant that, you know,” he whispered.

“What?”

“What the song said. I’ve never felt this way before. I have been thinking about you since the day I met you on the subway, and it’s been driving me crazy wondering when I would see you again.”

“Yeah?” Sydney couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “Me too, I was talking to the girls and…”

“Shhh. No talking right now.”

Tim leaned in and kissed her softly, then pulled back and looked in to her eyes, seeking permission. She closed her eyes and wound her hands around his neck, reaching up and leaning into the second kiss which wasn’t as soft. He seemed to fit against her perfectly and know just how she liked to be kissed, and Sydney was sure it was the best night of her life.

Tim lifted his head and looked up at the sky.

“What are you looking at Tim?” Sydney asked. “Is it going to rain?”

“Nah,” he said. “I was looking for fireworks.”

Sydney burst out laughing and punched him playfully in the arm, the moment broken, but in a good way. “Oh my goodness that was a horrible line, but can I tell you how much I liked it?” She could hardly stop laughing as they began walking up her street.

“Seriously, have you used that before?” she asked him.

“Nope. Just came to me,” he said. “And I was only half joking. When can I see you again Sydney?”

“Well, soon I hope. I have to work tomorrow because it’s quarter-end, and then I’m going to a wedding. What about Sunday?”

“Can’t. I’m going out of town.” Tim looked frustrated. “Look, can you give me your contact info and I’ll page you or call you?”

“Oh, yeah, of course. Here you go.” Sydney unclipped her blackberry and gave Tim her PIN and cell numbers just as they arrived at her door. She wasn’t ready for the night to end, but she also wasn’t ready for him to come inside. So instead, she turned to him and grabbed his shirt, planting a short, hot, powerful kiss on his mouth.

“G’night Tim. Thanks for walking me home.”

“Night Sydney. Sweet dreams.”

No comments: